Remembering the boxing day Tsunami

On 26th December , 2004, I was in Jipmer, Pondicherry, completing the last few days of my internship as a medical graduate and I was posted in the emergency department at that time.

At around 4 am when the time for my turn to sleep came, I went to the duty doctor''s room and as I lay in my bed, a thought came to my mind. It came in the form of a question, and the question was, "what would you do if an earthquake happens at this very moment?"
Little did I know that an earthquake was actually on it's way and I started thinking about how I would go under the cot and such things...then I got an idea to go to beach that very minute, which i successfully resisted until I finished my night shift and returned home. Then I  switched on the TV and I saw the report of a massive earthquake which had hit some where around Indonesia.
On the 3rd or 4th of January I was in urban health center, where I met a man who described how the tsunami came into pondicherry through the grand canal and took along with its flow those who were passing stools in the open around the grand canal.

In a couple of days I came to know the full extent of the carnage.
The ironic thing about this tsunami was that many people who died never knew there is something called the tsunami. They had no clue as to what was happening.

Then after some days I met a child who was brought to the OPD for some ailment and when I asked them the name of the child, they replied, "tsunami". They have named her 'tsunami' as she was born on 26th December 2004. Quite a way to remember the tsunami I think.

Comments

Popular Posts