Travel Diary - Day 6 - Jaisalmer

From 3:30 to 3:55 am after waking up multiple time and checking the time, I finally woke up, washed up and around 4:10 called my Auto driver Manoj, who was there in ten minutes and at around 4:30 am I vacated the room and was on my way to Jodhpur railway station. At 5:05 am I boarded the Delhi - Jaisalmer Intercity express and reached Jaisalmer by around 12:30pm.
  Jaisalmer is located at the heart of the Thar desert and I could feel the difference even as the train entered the desert. The winds became strong and it was loaded with dirt. There were free ranging wild camels and deer and some herdsmen tending their flock or herd. The Jaisalmer railway station reminded me of Kanyakumari Railway station, open, windy and empty as only a few trains were reaching Jaisalmer on a daily basis.
As soon as I got down and exited the station I was surrounded by auto drivers and guides, one of whom successfully hijacked me to his auto rickshaw. In 5 minutes times I was in Royal haveli,  where I had planned to stay and had booked my room. As we were on our way to the haveli, the auto driver gave his number and requested me to call him for touring the city.  After washing up and resting for a couple of hours I called him and he took me to Jaisalmer Fort,  also called Golden fort, because of the colour of the sandstone which resembled gold or sandalwood.
The fort unlike many other forts in India is still inhabited by people who have been living within it's protected walls for generations. The narrow alleyways were lined by souvenir shops and hotels and restaurants. There is a palace museum, which I initially missed out but managed to locate with local intelligence. This palace unlike those in Jaipur and Jodhpur was simple and small. The lineage of kings of the ruling family was still alive, and the latest one was crowned in 1982. These kings claim direct descent from Krishna, the Hindu god. This was a completely Hindu palace without any mughal or British influence as seen Jaipur and Jodhpur respectively.
As usual, I took snaps, made selfies and then returned. As I were exiting the fort complex, the driver told me about Desert safari. I enquired him about half day safari and postponed my decision, but only for a few minutes. I told him to stop at an ATM and after withdrawing money I decided to go for the Desert Safari.
In thirty minutes times, we were in an air conditioned car and we're on our way to Sam sand dunes. In sixty minutes time we were there, and I was already sitting on a camel, enjoying my camel safari. I got down on the top of the sand dunes and experienced the harshness of the desert: incessant winds blowing sand unceasingly. It was 100% non stop winds and I was not prepared for that. So I allowed the winds to blow on me and continued my walk across the dunes. After taking photos and selfies, I was taken to oasis resort, where after cultural program and dinner, I was dropped off at my hotel back in Jaisalmer. It costed 3000 rs.
That was one full day of travel, tour, travel and tour and travel. I hit the bed and went to sleep. Thank you Jesus, for this wonderful experience.



Comments

Popular Posts